May 13, 2009

FoodCrave: "Lokan & Ketam Bakar" @ Sulaman

By Clara Lim

Photos by Tdora Photography

One hot Saturday afternoon, Telca and Juliet practically told me to jump into the car and go where the road takes us. I, a fan of the not-so-extreme adventure, just grabbed my bag and go. Yes, we are somewhat crazy like that.

Though they didn’t tell me where we’re heading, I figured out the “secret destination” and I was already imaging the cooling and refreshing pudding.

When we finally pulled over by the roadside, I was quite nervous to see the condition of those stalls. No, I am not one of those fussy chicks, but I have a thing for hygiene. *winks* But that place is a popular eatery destination and I have not heard of any bad cases, so I just crossed my fingers and hope for the best. Besides, Telca and Juliet have eaten there before, so that place can’t be that bad right?

The stall that we went is pretty clean and comfortable. Sure there are a couple of flies flying and chicken running around, but it gives the whole place the kampung feel, very casual and relaxing. The only thing I can complain about is the heat. *grins* Maybe I should drag one of those industrial fan with the mist thingy everywhere I go. Anyway, I always thought those by the roadside stalls only offers fresh fruits and probably vegetables but I was pleasantly surprised to see that they also serve “home cooked” meals and snacks other than the infamous coconut puddings and lokan bakar.

So we ordered the must-have puddings and lokan as well as young coconut, Nasi Goreng Kampung and Soto Ayam. The best thing was we must have done something good that day because not long after we ordered, someone delivered live crabs to the stalls. *woohoo* So we told Telca to bring it on.

I *heart* crabs. A lot.

The pudding was refreshing as always but there is something different eating it at the stalls than at home no? Maybe it’s the heat? *Hee* That was also my first lokan experience and I must say it was YUMMY! It was fresh and cooked with ginger, garlic and other ingredients I do not care about. My favorite part was of course the crabs. The barbequed crab was juicy and fleshy, and I had to stop myself from stuffing myself too much. I still drool when I think about it.

The Nasi Goreng Kampung and Soto Ayam wasn’t the best ever but I suspect the taste is never consistent either, like most restaurants. So, it all depends on your luck people! *LOL*

The satisfying meal didn’t cost much to my surprise. We paid about RM45.00 for 4 dishes, 2 puddings and a coconut. Sure the ride to Sulaman was pretty long (depending where you live) but with good company in the car, it was worth it.

I know people who travel further just to have something to eat. So why not Sulaman?


photo taken by Ian

" Lokan Bakar"

BBQ Crabs

Sri Cahaya menu list


Soto Ayam

Nasi Goreng Ala Kampung